Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Loving Story



An Anecdotal Account Of A Landmark Supreme Court Ruling Brought About By Two Unlikely Heroes
"The Loving Story" is a remarkable chronicle of history that tells an incredibly important story. For subject matter alone, I highly recommend this earnest endeavor by filmmaker Nancy Buirski. The documentary tells the tale of Richard and Mildred Loving, an interracial couple who became reluctant heroes in the Civil Rights movement. Living in Virginia, the couple was persecuted, prosecuted and exiled by state officials who were staunch supporters of an anti-miscegenation campaign. The couple didn't realize they were violating any laws, they were simply in love and wanted to reside in the place that they considered home. Their dogged determination to fight to stay in Virginia had long-standing repercussions across the nation. Their case made it to the Supreme Court in 1967, and Loving v. Virginia declared that anti-miscegenation legislation was not enforceable under the fourteenth amendment. It was a landmark case, made all the more inspiring by the fact that Richard and Mildred...

Impact on me
I am a 76 year old male and for rhe first time in my life I can now understand what life must of been like for my parents in Alabama.
My father was German and Native American and my mother Native American and African American. I was very touched by the story and it was like watching the history of my family. I believe there are many familes that can relate to THE LOVING STORY which is an American tragedy and awe inspiring heroes that lived during this time of history.
A well told story of two people in love that stood for their equality to love each other and the right to marry.Sounds like today's fight to marry the person you love.

More of a "Time Capsule" about a historic trial than an involving film,
Rather than rehash what my fellow Amazon reviewer K. Harris has said in detailing the story which this brief (77-minute) film covers, I'll suggest, up front, that you read K's review. I had the same feeling when watching this film. It's historically importan - this was a landmark case during the civil rights era of the 1960s, one not usually covered. But the personalities of the major characters make even the 77 minutes seem long. I'm a huge documentary fan but this one just didn't grab me. For those interested in the cilvil rights movement - or human rights in general - this is worth watching. It just could have been better.

The film was shown on HBO and the DVD contains no special (bonus) features.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment