Monday, September 16, 2013

Hellbound?



Very interesting for the open minded
Overall a very high quality production. Fascinating subject matter. A few odd things, like what was the deal with interviewing the shlocky metal bands? They had nothing of value to say on the subject. I've studied Christian Universalism in depth and I think this film does a good job addressing most of the knee-jerk reactions that my evangelical kin have to the idea. Mostly I recommend this just because it's the only thing out there in the category.

Excellent.
Excellent excellent excellent.

While definitely favoring universal reconciliation, this gives a brief but I think fair overview of multiple different views of hell from lots of different and (usually) well respected people. Frank Schaeffer was especially wonderful in my opinion, as well as Greg Boyd, Richard Perry, Brian D. Mclaren, and Archbishop Lazar Puhalo. Just to name a few.
It also has a few extra interviews in the special features I've yet to watch, but I'm particularly excited to see what Richard Beck has to say.

I'd recommend this to anyone and everyone to watch, it will spark some thinking and conversation.

"Christian Universalism - A Not So New View of Hell"
I think Kevin Miller did a great job of putting together a documentary that leads toward new conversations about the subject of hell. The movie highlights three main positions, while clearly pointing toward a perspective of "Christian Universalism." I think the movie could have been titled, "Christian Universalism: A Not So New Perspective on Hell." The attention given to the "traditional/conservative" view of hell in the movie in my opinion was more with the intent to show how silly and foolish someone looks who holds this view. If the aim was to give a series documentary on exposing various views on hell then Kevin should have addressed the theological/hermeneutical reasons why scholars past and present believe scripture points toward a real eternal hell. All in all, I would recommend the movie with caution as a primer for healthy reflective conversations. As stated in the movie, you have to do your homework and not just know what you believe, but why you believe it.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment