Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Decade You Were Born: The 1940's



Well worth it
I actually bought (at first) the 1940 one(to see what my parents were like as young folks) -- then got the 50's one since I was a late 50's brat, then the 60's for my early teens and then the 70's for my high school days, and ended up with the 80's for my college daze. The narration, content and music were all impresive in how they were done and they stuck with issues relevant to the social development in a way - that was at NO time, boring. And I'm such a Retro Hound - that this was a real treat. The extra features are great and for over 4 hours of extras PLUS the long documentary ---for the price, there is just no way you can lose out on having these if you are a retro lover or, just curious. Now - I just wish they'd do a 1910 - 1920 - 1930 series, too.

The Decade You Were Born-The 40's
A lot of industrial/military documentaries, interesting, but not worth a second viewing. I may be wrong, but wasn't there some sort of major world conflict going on in the 40's? If it was, this disc didn't seem to pay much attention to it.

Boring. Boring, Boring
All these " The Decade you were born " dvd series 40s,50s,60s,70,80s, dvds are cheaply and badly made. I don't know how the other reviewer can say they are in no part boring, you will be fast forwarding on your dvd remote plently. These dvds rely on a lot of public domain footage, grainy and unmastered. Whole speechs are used as space fillers, the only quality footage on these dvds could be used to make a 5 minute documentary, not a hour and a half.

I had high hopes these dvd series would have first class production values, informative and entertaining narrative but there is little of that to be found here. You would have more fun finding about any of these decades just surfing the internet, video websites offer far more entertaining choices from people who have upload what these decades were all about, stay far away from these, they're not worth the dvds they're printed on.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment