Friday, September 20, 2013

The Bake Street Hauntings



Slightly above average indie horror
I felt I had to rent this and write a review, considering that at least one of the reviews already on here was written by a cast member. I have seen just about every haunted house and found footage film available, and most of them are complete crap. I'm happy to say that this one bucks the trend and is actually not horrible. Still, I wouldn't say that it's good, but it seems to be an achievement to make an indie horror flick that's simply tolerable.

The movie is very short - just 70 minutes - which makes it great as a short diversion. However, it also leaves little room to develop characters or a plot. As a result, both end up being wafer thin and easily forgettable. Even the house, which used to be the main character in any haunted house story, as well as the ghosts themselves, have taken supporting roles in a movie that really stars a few good haunt scenes. Thankfully, these scenes are the movie's real strong points, and I dare say that some of them were creepy. I...

Don't waste your time
I was hoping for the best, but this movie disappointed so badly that I made a point of going online to review it--something I've never been motivated to do before, but I'd hate for someone else to waste their time like we did. You don't need a big budget to make a scary movie, but you do need a story. This had nothing but a bare bones idea that they never did a thing to develop. The scares were few and far between and lame as hell. It was one of those movies where you're constantly going, "No one would do that" or "Why don't they just turn on the lights?" So flipping stupid.

Better than expected!
I am a fairly critical reviewer of horror, primarily because today it is so inexpensive (both in time and money) for most anyone to create a movie and upload it to Amazon and elsewhere, that there is a glut of absolutely terrible "films" on the market today (and I think that now that genie is out of the bottle, so this is the new reality of the horror movie genre). Anyway, suffice to say that I have spent a lot of my meager disposable income on streaming movies here on Amazon and on Netflix, with very few real creepy and spooky moments to show for it - especially with regard to "lost footage" films which are the most conducive to those no/low budget movies I mentioned. So it was with no small amount of surprise when I found myself genuinely creeped out by The Bake Street Hauntings. I won't give any spoilers here, and while this movie is not perfect, it makes up for its shortcomings (one big one being wayyy too many F-bombs - OH and the chemistry between the "husband" and "wife" is...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment